Sunday, January 10, 2010

Meals for a Month


So we have been trying to figure out different ways to save money. We have cut down our cable and internet bills, and now are trying to save money by not eating out at all. We both are so tired by the end of the night that sometimes it is just easier for us to go get something. Well last Saturday I decided to try to make meals for a month in one day. I bought the book several years ago, but never tried to do it. It seemed way too hard and time consuming. Well the night before I put together a meal plan and a shopping list for the entire month. We then went shopping the following morning. I don't think that I have ever bought that much food at one time. We ended the trip with spending $218 dollars. That might sound like a lot, but when you think about it for our family, that ends up being dinner and the leftovers are our lunch for the next day! So I think that we did very well. I started cooking at 1:30 and the festivities did not end until 10:00 that night. Brad took pity on me halfway through and helped me out. He actually finished the last dish because I seriously was so tired! All of the meals were completed and frozen. This past week has been so nice! When I get home from work we just either stick something in the oven or reheat something on the stove. This is also making me feel better because Brad lost his job this past Friday, and it's nice to know that we have our meals for the rest of the month paid for. The picture above is the before picture! If anyone would like to do this with me next month it would be great to have some company!

6 comments:

Chris and Christine said...

Hey I miss you guys! This is such a good idea. I totally want to do it. Chris and I have been talking about doing something like this for a long time, but don't really have the freezer space. I will need to get the details from you. I'm so sorry to hear about Brad's job. What do you think your going to do? You could always move here : )

Kruger Family said...

Good for you...it just seems so overwhelming to me. I am so proud of you....let me know how it works out:)

Chad & Bonny Day said...

I did this, but I did it for 2 weeks instead of 1 month. It was crazy! I think I was cooking for 4 or 5 hours. And then, I didn't have enough freezer space..how did you fit everything into your freezer? I loved having the meals though. It helped a lot!

J Perry said...

What book are you talking about that you got all these ideas from? I'd love to do the same thing, if, for no other reason, I'm tired of buying lunch and eating out!

Southern Belle said...

I totally want to do this too! $218 for your food bill for a month is AWESOME!! We are usually double that! We might eat more than you though, because Jeff and I are porkers!! haha... I wish I could be there to do that with you! I called you back a while ago from when you called me, but I haven't heard from you... we should talk soon! I am SO SORRY about Brad's job!! I hope something great works out for him soon! Maybe this will help open a door for something better than what he had before:) We miss you guys! I was looking at our cruise pictures the other day... that was fun... Carter and Cheyenne's first date! hahaha...

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

You are so good to do that! I need to do the same. What cookbook is it? I am sorry to hear about Brad's job. Are you still teaching? Call me. We need to catch up! I am excited Carter is walking! He is getting so big! He's almost 1 right? Time sure flies! I love your picture up top too!